Located in the old Almshouse, the Historical Society of Baltimore County’s library houses information from every known tombstone in both church and family cemeteries in Baltimore County. Here, you will also find a growing collection of books and maps (copies of some are for sale), census records, marriage records, slave schedules, family histories, ledgers, photographs, clippings, and manuscripts related to the history and genealogy of Baltimore County.
- Complete Library Shelf Holdings 3,500+ shelved library volumes
- Photograph Collection 6,000+ photographs of Baltimore County from the nineteenth century to present
- Vertical File Collection 1900+ file folders with clippings and source material related to Baltimore County’s places, buildings, clubs, etc.
- Genealogy Surname Vertical Files 7,700+ files
- The published Archives of Maryland volumes 1 through 72.
- Maryland Historical Magazine – almost every issue from 1907 to 2010
- Baltimore County Cemetery Inscription Files
- Map Collection 400+ maps in the collection)
- History Trails (Our quarterly journal since 1966
- Publications for Sale
- Research Request Form (mail-in, fee based) .PDF
Fridays noon to 4 p.m.
Saturdays 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Weather related closings: we follow Baltimore County Public Schools during the week, and Baltimore County Public Library on weekends.
Holidays: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King, Jr.’s Birthday, President’s Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Winter Holidays. (If a holiday falls on a Sunday/Monday, HSBC is closed the Saturday prior.)