Baltimore City – Formerly Baltimore Town

Posted by on Sep 13, 2014 in Home Page Slider | Comments Off

Baltimore City – Formerly Baltimore Town

The territory of Baltimore Town, officially established in 1729, was originally under the jurisdiction of Baltimore County.  Baltimore City was thereafter incorporated as a municipality within Baltimore County’s boundaries in 1796 (Chapter 68, Acts of 1796).  The City name was derived from the Proprietary’s Irish Barony.  In 1816, Baltimore City annexed additional land dubbed “the precincts,” up to North Avenue.  As a governmental unit, the City separated from Baltimore County in 1851, when a new constitution was established placing City and county in separate judicial courts.  Baltimore County’s “county-seat of justice,” formerly located in Baltimore City, was thereafter relocated to Towson Town in 1854.