|When:||Back to Calendar October 10, 2015 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm||Where:||Baltimore County Almshouse
9811 Van Buren Lane
|Cost:||$75 for members, $85 for non-members|
|Categories:||Almshouse Hill History Tours HSBC Event|
Visit Historic Catonsville, including Old Salem Lutheran Church. Enjoy a delightful buffet lunch at Dimitri’s Restaurant. See the Victorian summer homes of wealthy Baltimoreans. Visit the Catonsville Room at the local library.
More Details Below!
For questions or concerns e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
The first settlement in the area was made by the Quakers. They settled near an inn that was famous for its johnnycakes which were a cornmeal flatbread. These johnnycakes were very popular with the teamsters before they started their long trip westward.
The farms in the area were mostly tobacco farms. The roads that ran near these farms were tobacco or rolling roads because the great casks or hogsheads were turned on their sides and rolled down the road to the port at Elkridge.
About 1800 the area became known as Catonsville. It was named after Richard Caton, an English gentleman who married Mary, Charles Carroll’s oldest daughter.
Catonsville grew rapidly, its population made up of many nationalities. In 1844, St. Timothy’s Church was built and is still in use today. In 1849 the first Salem Lutheran congregation was organized.
This area became popular as a summer retreat for many wealthy Baltimoreans. Many great Victorian homes were built. It was a fashionable place to live and developed a social life similar to English country life.
Catonsville has retained many of its historic homes, churches and buildings. A stroll through Catonsville’s residential avenues is like a step back in time.
According to Benjamin Banneker Park, they are probably America’s largest original African American historical site, preserving most of Banneker’s original homestead in what is now historic Oella, MD. In 1737, Benjamin’s father purchased 100 acres here with 7,000 pounds of tobacco – the Colonial cash crop. Fast-forward 248 years and this site is rediscovered in a 1985 archaeological investigation. With land parcels acquired by Baltimore County from 1985 to 1993, much of the original 100 acre Banneker homestead came to be preserved as a major portion of Banneker Historical Park. The Banneker Museum first opened its doors in 1998.